The proposed CSR strategy uses decentralized solar solutions combined with an innovative financing scheme to empower local communities, reduce forest degradation and deforestation practices as well as carbon emissions.
Proof of Conecpt
MPower kicked off a pilot project with Barry-Callebaut, the world’s leading manufacturer of high-quality chocolate and cocoa, in January 2019. The project targets 600 cocoa farmers in four cooperatives in Cameroon and distributes, together with MPower’s local partner, a set of cost-effective solar kits focusing on lighting, mobile phone charging and larger systems for productive use. The project demonstrates how a successful collaboration between a multinational company, an innovative facilitator and local distributors can lead to a sustainable, fully commercial and profitable project with large-scale potential to empower African farmers.
Gains for the Community & the Multinational
There are numerous benefits of the collaboration.
Main benefits for the community:
- Access to clean and reliable energy
- Icreased productivity through smart agricultural tools and other powered electric devices
- First-ever credit histroy
- Yearly savings for households from USD 60 upwards depending on system size
- Empowering local communities and entrepreneurs by providing an opportunity for income
Main benefits for the cooperation
- Very effective way to implement company’s CSR concept and vision
- Significantly reduce the company’s carbon footprint
- Improve employees / supplier’s loyalty vis-à-vis the company
- Increase productivity e.d. through smart sprayer, solar pumps, headlights)
- No technical risk for the company
Here you find a short report about our activities in Cameroon:
For further information please contact contact:
Manuel Seiffe, Co-Founder & CEO, email@example.com, +41 79 175 52 02